Friday, January 18, 2008

Misery Makes a Visit

I woke yesterday morning quite miserable. I was in no way interested in missing the first day of the winter quarter for our homeschool coop. I've been anticipating teaching my 'REsourceful REusables' class to the 3rd-5th graders for weeks. (I'll tell about it when I have the energy.) So, like the martyr that I always am, I went.
I made it through teaching my class, but just barely. Half way through I started feeling feverish and miserable. By the end of the class I just wanted to go home but I was waiting for a friend to meet me to pick up her Sugar Tai. So wait I did, as the misery spread. By the time I got home I had a fever over 102. Every inch of my body ached, down to my eyelashes. During the night I was wearing two long sleeved shirts, jeans, doubled up on socks and three quilts. Yet I was convulsing uncontrollably with shivers. I still felt chilled although I was drenched with sweat. At one point I distinctly remember thinking, half asleep, "How ironically stupid that I have waited until this week to apply for life insurance. I'm going to die and Travis will be broke." (don't worry, we already had him covered).
Today Travis actually stayed home to take care of the kids and I. I've NEVER asked him to do that EVER. To be quite honest, I didn't ask him today. He just stayed. My prince charming served me chicken broth and saltines and made lovely whole wheat pancakes for his children. He was a hero to more than just me, this morning. He called and made an appointment for me to see the doctor, knowing that I wouldn't do it myself. The appointment isn't until later today and I've been 'quarantined' to the peace and not so quiet of our room. I didn't leave the room, but ultimately there's no quite with all hardwood floors and 3 little ones locked in all day.
I'm taking the opportunity to finally read a book that, I'm ashamed to say, has sat on my shelf for 3 years. Maybe to the day, now that I think about it. Hmmm... off to sleep and read some more.

No comments: